Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Colorado River: Canyonlands


October 23, 2015
Day 5

"If I had a day that I could give you
I'd give to you a day just like today
If I had a song that I could sing for you
I'd sing a song to make you feel this way
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high"
--John Denver

Our campsite on an island.
After all of the rain since we had begun the trip, with heavy rainfall especially the day before, the morning greeted us with sunshine! Before the sun peeked over the ridge we warmed up by the fire. Then we took off, floating through Canyonlands the whole day. Lunch was eaten at a beach on the bend of the river and from there we followed a short path to some Indian cliff dwellings, petroglyphs, and pictographs. We then paddled on until well after the sun went down. A large group passed us and thankfully didn't camp on the next available beach for us. Otherwise, we would've still been going past dusk and probably wouldn't have been able to spot the snags and sandbars. Where we set up was on a large beach, fairly large compared to those we had previously camped on (we were about 300 feet more or less inland from the river). We had dinner and went to bed early.




A gigantic snag in the river!



Pulling over for lunch then a hike.












Returning to the rafts.
Paddling on into sunset.






No comments:

Post a Comment